Thursday, July 15, 2021

Maroon: 2 minute verses

 GREEN


I'm bang in the middle of VIBGYOR

Traffic control - I'm at the bottom of it

You'll turn my shade if you can't cure

Envy, jealousy or that urge to just vomit.


... next up was...


MAROON


I pushed off all my childhood mates 

They seemed too far in the past anyway

As they drifted away to their fates

I felt I had just got rid of useless decay


Made my many affairs a few night stands

Discarded with disdain many a genuine gem

Connections were just like lines in the sands

Before the waves rushed in and wiped them


I was focused, and that's what I told myself

Others were mostly competitors for my turf

Or distractions, or relics on memories' shelf

Meanwhile, I had to catch the next wave to surf


With my alienating attitude of you-I-don't-need 

They tried to cope, but left me alone after awhile

Without practice, my social skills atrophied

I forgot how to stretch my lips into a smile...


Loneliness crept up fast and I had no defense

There was no hand to hold, no bosom's cocoon

No warm words or smiling eyes, no friends

In the island of my own making, I'm a maroon...


No comments:

Post a Comment