Kill the Cake...?
The last time I had cut a cake and celebrated my birthday was when I was in upper kindergarten. I don't have much memory of it now, but I from the ill-preserved photos of that time, I think it was a messy event. It is tradition, apparently, because I found from that fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia (thought, to be fair, it did have the 'citation required' tag) that "In India it's common to rub a piece of cake icing on the face of the birthday person, after the cake has been cut."... one learns new things everyday.
So, the wheel turns and here I was again, dragged out of my cosy cabin and up into the hall to cut a cake while everybody sang and smiled. I have been reticent about celebrating birthdays for a long time now... That's not to say I don't like the barrage of calls, or the expressions in writing - it is always great to hear from friends and family and the servers at orkut, but why celebrate just one birthday, just once an year, when you can celebrate all around the year... One birthday, and 364 Alive days (or un-birthdays, as Lewis Carroll puts it in Through the Looking Glass)...
Last year, one of the good things that happened on March 5th was that I was home... Not this time around. Feels better, birthdays do, when they're spent with mother, father and sister...

No comments:
Post a Comment